I forgot to buy walnuts for the beet salad I had planned for Meatless Monday last week. I usually buy some honey roasted walnut halves from Wally World (Walmart). They sell them in their salad/granola section near the produce for a pretty good price. The thing is I can’t seem to find them anywhere else. I don’t like to go into Walmart unless I really have to, but the other day going to Walmart was way too inconvenient and I could not find any sweetened walnuts of any kind, anywhere else. I decided that I would make my own daggum walnuts and candy them the best way I knew how. I bought some plain walnut halves and went home to figure out how I could candy them myself, while the beets for my salad were roasting in the oven.
The candied walnuts I made turned out a lot more candied than what I was buying and so much better! Here’s how I made my candied walnuts:
- 1 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup walnut halves
- Melt the butter into the water and honey inside a medium sauce pot over medium-high heat.
- When the butter has melted pour the mixture over the walnuts in a large bowl and toss the nuts to coat well.
- Add the nuts back into the pot and sir in brown sugar.
- Bring the mixture to a bowl over low heat stirring continuously, until golden brown and toasted, 5-7 minutes. You will notice that the mixture get very thick and most all of the liquid evaporates.
- Transfer to a piece of waxed paper to cool.
Next time you cannot find a product you normally buy, try to figure out a way to make whatever it is yourself. You may even surprise yourself at how much better you make it.
You could use any nuts you prefer. They would make a great Christmas gift for the nut lover in your life. You could also do batches of each kind of nut you wanted and give a sampler.