Here are 12 facts you may have not known about bananas:
- Most species of banana plant originated in Southeast Asia.
- Humans have grown bananas for thousands of years.
- Bananas are the fruit.
- Wild bananas grow with large, hard seeds.
- When rip they are usually long and curved with a soft inside covered by a yellow skin (peel).
- Bananas can be found in other colors, including red!!
- Banana plants are not trees, they are a type of herb.
- India is the leading producer of bananas.
- Bananas grow in large, hanging bunches.
- A row of bananas is sometimes called a ‘hand’, while a single banana is called a ‘finger’.
- Bananas contain around 75% water, but healthy water. They have high nutritional value and are a healthy snack.
- Bananas contain a lot of potassium, making them more radioactive than other fruits. You don’t need to worry though as this naturally occurring radiation has very little effect on the body.
Oddly enough, I have had some very nauseating experiences after eating bananas since I was a young teen. I believe that it is the only food I am allergic to. Makes me sad, because I really do like them. 😦